It’s a simple fact of life that dads connect easier with sons and moms connect easier with daughters. It can be a struggle bridging that gap between the genders.
Mommies vs. Daddies
Despite the many advancements in gender roles today, many households still function with the father as the “breadwinner” and the mother as a “homemaker.” This can make it hard to get to know your children, whether they are boy or girl. On top of it all, many dads feel that it is easier for the mother to connect to the child because she carried the child for 9 months. In a father’s mind, there is already an unbreakable bond that has been established. That “maternal instinct” has already kicked-in.
No stress! It is important to realize that all parents (mommies included) have trouble connecting with their children at times. That’s why we wrote this series. There are many ways to bond with your kids, so you can feel as close with your children as their mommy does.
10 Father Daughter Tips
Here is a list of 10 things you absolutely must tell your daughter:
- She can do anything a guy can do. This includes physics, chemistry, fixing a squeaky door, killing a bug, unclogging a toilet, and putting together IKEA furniture. It doesn’t hurt to learn how to drive stick, or the rules of a baseball game, or the main characters of Star Wars either.
- Nothing trumps intelligence. She should value her decision-making abilities, and she should never allow someone else to make decisions for her. There are far too many unscrupulous people in this world that would invest in your daughter believing what they believe.
- Peer pressure feeds off of insecurity. She will always be judged by her image; that’s just the way the world works, but it doesn’t have to rule her life. She just needs to keep this concept of first impressions in mind as she gets dressed each day. Furthermore, a little bit of confidence goes a long way.
- Older women wear make-up to look like younger women. There is no need to use tons of make-up. Less is more.
- When she is attracted to a guy, she should pay attention to how he treats his mother. This is very similar to the respect he will (or won’t) show her.
- If she dates that guy, she must understand that she sets the boundaries of the sexual relationship. End. Of. Story.
- While dating that guy, she must also understand that re-hashing past grievances will be the surest way to lose him. A guy rarely remembers to do things like take out the trash or fold the laundry. He probably has no clue what they did to make her mad 5 months ago.
- Anyone worth loving will love her for exactly who she is. She doesn’t have to do anything to get them to love her. She just needs to stay true to herself. This is a key part of long-term happiness.
- Creativity grows the mind, but science and business will grow her wallet. She should understand that she will need both to succeed in life.
- While she’s out there being awesome, she should never, ever, ever forget that her daddy will always love her more than any man in this world.